The Experian report reveals that if the time spent on the Internet for personal computers was distilled into an hour then 27% of it would be spent on social networking and forums. In the US, 16 minutes out of every hour online is spent on social networking and forums, nine minutes on entertainment sites and five minutes shopping. These numbers suggest that, today customers and candidates are much more likely to interact with you on social media than your website.
Here are the top 27 social media statistics from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn you should know.The numbers are mind blowing and should show you why you need to prioritize on your social media and mobile efforts –
- Facebook has 1.11 billion monthly active users.
- More than 1 in 7 people in the world have Facebook account and log in monthly.
- 751 million monthly active users who used Facebook mobile products.
- 655 million daily active users on average in March 2013.
- Approximately 79% of daily active users are outside the U.S. and Canada.
- There are more than 2 billion connections between local businesses and people.
- In an average week, there are over 645 million views of, and 13 million comments on, local business Facebook Pages.
- Approximately 70% of monthly active users in the U.S. and Canada are connected to a local business on Facebook.
- Twitter has over 550 million users.
- 135,000 new Twitter users signing up every day.
- 58 million – average number of tweets per day.
- 2.1 billion Twitter search engine queries every day.
- 43% of Twitter users use their phone to tweet.
(source: statistic brain)
- YouTube now has more than a billion unique users every single month.
- Nearly one out of every two people on the Internet visits YouTube.
- YouTube monthly viewership is the equivalent of roughly ten Super Bowl audiences.
- If YouTube were a country, It would be the third largest in the world after China and India.
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube.
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- More than 225 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- Professionals are signing up on LinkedIn at a rate of more than 2 new members per second.
- 64% of LinkedIn members are located outside of the United States.
- There are over 30 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn. They are LinkedIn’s fastest-growing demographic.
- There are more than 2.1 million LinkedIn groups
- More than 3 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
- In the first quarter of 2013, an average of 30% of unique visiting members came through mobile apps, versus just 19% a year ago.
Mobile is one of the key factor driving social in 2013, what do you think? What numbers have surprised you or is it all a bit boring? What are some of the interesting social media statistics and facts you have come across this year? Leave your feedback in the comments below.